Dr. Treves: I pray to God he is an idiot. 
My mother's biggest fear for me is not that one day I would get pregnant by some guy or commit something that makes me end up in a jail. It is the fact that I feel more than most people do and (perhaps without the capacity of it) think about it.

As dangerous as they are, my thoughts and imaginations have also imparted the most potent humanity of myself. Other people would say knowing the physics of rainbow just kills its charm, but I think the complexity that somehow coexists with its seemingly just-there-to-be-seen physique is something that makes me appreciate it even more.
Mr. Merrick: People are frightened by what they don't understand.
We humans miniaturize this gift that only God bestow on us. We term it as being 'sad', 'unwell', 'happy', 'broken', 'excited', 'uplifted' - even worse, label them as good or bad. Lie to yourself, but there it entails the truth that makes is the humans that we are. It is the truth that we can not afford to escape from. It grabs us down and bring us to our knees.

And who are we to judge our emotions? Jesus wept when He lost His dearest friend, He agonized to blood in the garden, He got upset in the temple; how He was truly human. Some people can feel so good of their emotional detachment. But I think like this: however appealing it seems to live a life so efficient and pleasing to others, the truth is that some part of one's life requires him/her to walk along the 'stupid' winding road and how it takes so much more to just be there with all our true selves than making up something based on our convictions.

At least for me. Only by these it all makes sense to me; the-used-to-be cheesy terms of Divine Love, Faith and Hope. That I am loved despite of my ungratefulness and sloppiness, in this very miserable and human way that I am. It is Love in its most loving and unconditional way that I know. That one's life could end up as morbid as suicide, that it could not be thought how things can get any better either in this life and eternity; it is really not our 'hope' and 'faith' that change anything or save any souls. I think it is the vastness that comes together with the realm of God; God is the Hope and Faith in our most hopeless and helpless truth. That my fatalism does not change any single bit of These.

Of course I don't know what's in God's mind. But I am saying this at least for me, at least for people like Joseph Merrick and many other people with 'broken life' be it for his own 'fault' or something grander than that. Psalm 23 may not be the most beautiful thing human ever wrote and (true that) it takes a Joseph Merrick to show me how rich it actually is.
Mrs. Kendall: Mr. Merrick, you are not an elephant man at all. Oh, no... No... You are a Romeo.

Mr Merrick, you are not an elephant man at all...

Posted on

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Leave a Reply